Jeremy Stephens injured, out of planned UFC 248 bout vs. Calvin Kattar; rescheduling expected
Multiple people with knowledge of the situation have informed MMA Junkie of Stephens’ withdrawal from the targeted fight, which has been removed from the working UFC 248 lineup.
Kattar (20-4 MMA, 4-2 UFC) and Stephens (28-17 MMA, 15-16 UFC) verbally agreed to fight at the March 7 event earlier this month. However, Stephens suffered an undisclosed injury before the fight was finalized. Sources said Kattar and Stephens are expected to be re-booked for a later date, though a timetable was not given.
Kattar (20-4 MMA, 4-2 UFC) is coming off a narrow loss in his first UFC headliner. He suffered a decision loss to Zabit Magomedsharipov at UFC on ESPN+ 21 in November. Prior to that fight Kattar, 31, had won 12 of 13.
Stephens (28-17 MMA, 15-16 UFC) is currently riding a four-fight winless skid. “Lil’ Heathen” hasn’t won since a knockout of Josh Emmett at UFC on FOX 28 in February 2018, dropping fights to Yair Rodriguez, Magomedsharipov, and Jose Aldo since.
UFC 248 takes place March 7 at T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas. The main card airs on pay-per-view following prelims on ESPN and early prelims on UFC Fight Pass/ESPN+.
The current UFC 248 lineup includes:
- Champ Zhang Weili vs. Joanna Jedrzejczyk – for women’s strawweight title
- Jared Cannonier vs. TBA
- Danaa Batgerel vs. Guido Cannetti
- Polyana Viana vs. Emily Whitmire
- Li Jingliang vs. Neil Magny
- Beneil Dariush vs. Drakkar Klose
- Sean O’Malley vs. Jose Quinonez
- Max Griffin vs. Alex Oliveira
- Saparbek Safarov vs. Rodolfo Vieira
- Austin Hubbard vs. Mark Madsen