Against the general advice of medical experts and as the country shuts down little by little amid the global coronavirus pandemic, UFC president Dana White remains adamant that the promotion will find a way to keep its event schedule up and running.
“Unless there’s a total shutdown of the country where people can’t leave their houses and things like that, these fights will happen,” White said. “We’re gonna move on. These guys will compete. We will find venues, and we will figure this thing out. I mean, the only thing that’s gonna stop us is a complete government shutdown where everyone is confined to their homes.”
Given the unprecedented circumstances, things seem to change rapidly as fighters and fights are constantly being removed, replaced and shifted. As difficult as it is to follow, this post will attempt to keep you up to date.
Here’s what we know.
(Editor’s note: This will continue to be updated as events unfold with the latest info in chronological from top to bottom.)
Monday, March 16
First UFC London fight shifts to Cage Warriors 113
There will be at least one “UFC London” fight on the card at Cage Warriors 113 this Friday as the middleweight bout between Wales’ John Phillips and Serbia’s Dusko Todorovic has shifted.
Cage Warriors president Graham Boylan previously revealed to MMA Junkie that he was in discussions with relevant parties to try to save some of the UFC fights that had effectively been scrapped following the enforced postponement Saturday’s event.
So much for Burns vs. Woodley
Gilbert Burns, after expressing optimism he could headline Saturday against Tyron Woodley, says that fight isn’t happening.
Man Shame on this former champ he said He is on killer mode! No you’re not you don’t want no smoke! I will see u soon @TWooodley thanks @danawhite @seanshelby and my manager @AliAbdelaziz00 to try to make this fight! I’m always available to fight but this guys talk to much