Donald Cerrone gets Alex Morono after Diego Sanchez removed from UFC on ESPN 24
Donald Cerrone has a new opponent for UFC on ESPN 24.
With Diego Sanchez removed from the card and released from the UFC, Cerrone (36-15-1 MMA, 29-15-1 UFC) will now take on Alex Morono in a three-round welterweight bout Saturday at the UFC Apex in Las Vegas.
Two people with knowledge of the matchup confirmed the booking to MMA Junkie on Monday but asked to remain anonymous as the promotion has yet to make an official announcement. Milenio was the first to report the news.
Cerrone, 38, won three straight fights from 2018-2019, but has since hit a difficult stretch. Winless in his most recent four outings, Cerrone most recently drew with Niko Price at UFC Fight Night 178 in September. The decision was later overturned to a no contest when Price tested positive for marijuana.
Morono (18-7 MMA, 7-4 UFC) most recently competed in December when he lost to former UFC lightweight champion Anthony Pettis by unanimous decision. The loss came on the heels of a win by Morono one month prior, when he defeated former Cage Warriors champion Rhys McKee by unanimous decision.
The UFC on ESPN 24 lineup now includes:
- Donald Cerrone vs. Alex Morono
- Zarrukh Adashev vs. Ryan Benoit
- Maurice Greene vs. Marcos Rogerio de Lima
- Christian Aguilera vs. Carlston Harris
- Tafon Nchukwi vs. Jun Yong Park
- Philipe Lins vs. Ben Rothwell
- Angela Hill vs. Amanda Ribas
- Neil Magny vs. Geoff Neal
- Ludovit Klein vs. Mike Trizano
- Kyle Daukaus vs. Phil Hawes
- Diego Ferreira vs. Gregor Gillespie