Cory Sandhagen, Aljamain Sterling sign on for UFC 250 clash
It won’t be for Henry Cejudo’s title after his alleged retirement, but Sandhagen (12-1 MMA, 5-0 UFC) and Sterling (18-3 MMA, 10-3 UFC) will fight for prime contender position in one of the sport’s deepest weight classes.
MMA Junkie confirmed with people close to the situation that contracts have been signed by both fighters. The people request anonymity because UFC has yet to make an official announcement.
Sandhagen has been pushing for a big fight at 135 pounds since he beat Raphael Assuncao at UFC 241 in August to extend his winning streak to seven fights. He was angling for a matchup with Dominick Cruz next, but then Cruz got the short-notice call to fight Cejudo at UFC 249 earlier this month.
Sterling, meanwhile, is on a solid four-fight run of his own. He most recently outpointed Pedro Munhoz to a decision at UFC 238 in June 2019.
The latest UFC 250 lineup now includes:
- Amanda Nunes vs. Felicia Spencer
- Devin Clark vs. Alonzo Menifield
- Ian Heinisch vs. Gerald Meerschaert
- Jussier Formiga vs. Alex Perez
- Charles Byrd vs. Maki Pitolo
- Neil Magny vs. Anthony Rocco Martin
- Cory Sandhagen vs. Aljamain Sterling